Skip Navigation
 

"Production Workshop Minutes"

11 september 2002



Physical Set-Up of Bigelow Meeting



Present: EVERYONE! =) Gayle, Jessie, Linden, Seth, Gabe, David, Perlman, Dov, Immer, Griska, Mac, Cari.

QUESTIONS:

  1. Can we paint the walls? Or the ceiling?
  2. What are the specific fire codes that the floor might violate?
  3. Things we want to ask for money for: 24 x 24 stress skin movable floor (size of floor still under debate), pipe, cheeseboroughs, boom bases, renting trusses
  4. What can we do about the carpet? Paint it? Tear it off? We will fuck it up and they will want to replace it after this year most probably.
  5. Can we get a truck/van/whatever for moving?
  6. Can we take away the ceiling and suspend grid-like stuff from there?
  7. How expensive to rent/buy dimmers? (Dov will research.)
  8. Are there other electrical options?
  9. How hard will it be to get into the Downstairs Space? If it will be severely limited, we will need to be given storage with access. We are willing to schedule access.

SETS:

2 options: (Mac) - Cover entire floor (the Bigs is about 35 x 45) = very expensive, maybe $6000
- Movable 24 x 24 floor = stress skin, plywood, coffin locks, etc; would cost about $1500, would be reconfigurable and take an hour to install
- in addition to movable floor, we could spend $1000 on plywood, masonite, etc, to cover more of the carpet

Nothing permanent. (David)

Support space is important. (Perlman). Maybe we could get Arnold (for dressing rooms or for a lobby) during shows.

Should we divide the space? We will have to store things in the Bigs. Should we designate (with duvetine) a lobby?

We could make recommendations. (about lobby, storage, support space, etc)

A functional theater is more than a theater space.

The office will be our space.

We (the board) will come to help each show put in the stress skins. (We will store them so as not to limit their creativity by implying a certain configuration.)

We would like the largest floor possible for the money we're willing to spend.

There will be physical limitations in the Bigs.

Where will we build sets? In one alcove, on top of our movable floor and outside.

Could we lay down something (not to build on top of but to act on) to cover the blue carpet?
- big drop cloth of black muslin; it will rip!
- buy masonite in addition; how would it stay together?
- 1 layer of plywood

LIGHTS

- Booms with crossbars and cheeseboroughs
- Buy pipe; maybe 24 6'pieces, about $1 for a foot of pipe
- I beams, pipe clamps
- rent trusses from High Output; maybe 4 12' trusses
- Boom bases = $80 each
- Hang the grid with aircraft cable from inside the ceiling?

The grid will be movable.

Ask for money for:
- 7 boom bases
- 14 12' pipes
- 14 cheeseboroughs
- 4 truss sections (rented)

ELECTRICITY AND DIMMING

Renting dimmers (probably 24). It would not make sense to buy dimmer because there will hopefully be a new electrical situation in the renovated building and we can buy new dimmers then.

We need 240 volts; 400 amp disconnect.

Rent/buy a generator?

Dov will talk to his electrician friend and research this. He'll call High Output, etc.

We need to offer the administration yesable propositions. (Linden)

We could run 6 dimmers on our power.

WHAT TO BRING:

Tools:

  • all screw guns
  • trim saw
  • batteries
  • Job Box
  • miter saw
  • circular saw
  • jig saw
  • framing squares
  • brooms and dust pans
  • ratchets
  • tape measures
  • etc, etc. . .
  • Seating risers
  • Stock platforms (regularly shaped)
  • Duvetine
  • Sound system
  • Sewing machine
  • 50 lights
  • Gel
  • Cable (all)
  • Pipes
  • Extension cords
  • Lamps
  • Screw drivers
  • Light board
  • Monitor - we can buy David's for $50
  • Headsets
  • Instant Karma Box
  • 8' and 10' ladders
  • Chairs
  • Benches?

Should we bring any costumes? Rack for storing costumes?

Perhaps we could store some things in the Musical Forum storage room in the basement of Metcalf.

We will do Blue Room ticketing on Wednesday at noon - Gayle, Dov.

Server - the IP address will be reassigned to Olney.

We could potentially put it in McGarty's office in Barus and Holley. Gabe will ask Michael and Cari will ask CIS.

Everyone needs to email Linden with their square footages of how much space they need for storage for their rooms. Think about money needed for storage and protection from sawdust, etc.

PW is: Jessie Austrian, Seth Bockley, Cari Cymanski, Liz Drew, Adam Griska, Adam Immerwahr, Gabe Kahane, Dov Lebowitz-Nowak, Michael Linden, Gayle MacDonald, David Myers, Michael Perlman, Rebecca Rouse and Mac Vaughey.

Word.


Back to the minutes | Back to the PW homepage

Taken by Gayle, htmlized by garland.

minutes/02sep11.txt · Last modified: 2013/12/21 02:00 (external edit)
 
Except where otherwise noted, content on this wiki is licensed under the following license: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Recent changes RSS feed Donate Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0 Valid CSS Run by Debian Driven by DokuWiki