Being a pw board member is different from being a pw community member. Board members and community members collaborate and work together, but while commuinty members create art to show to the Brown community in pw spaces within tf green hall, pw board members keep the space clean, organized, and stocked with resources and opportunities so community members can make some kick-ass shit! So if you're interested in helping support other artists in making their work, this opportunity is for you.But what does a pw board member DO, you ask? Here's a very brief list:
- set up seating platforms for downspace productions
- think about theater at Brown and try to create opportunities for artists that don't currently exist in the Brown theater and performance landscape
- solicit and choose proposals from student directors for seven full-lengths productions in our larger black box theater, the downspace
- executive produce all downspace productions, helping first-time *and* experienced directors/other team members navigate the experience of making theater at pw
- organize and maintain the upspace, our smaller black box theater
- organize and manage two parties in the space (monster ball and pwom)
- AND SO MUCH MORE. Learn about some of these responsibilities on the jobs page.
how to apply
The PW board accepts new members once a semester. If you are interested in applying, please email Marielle or Lauren. We'll assign you a board buddy who will walk you through the process and answer any questions along the way. We'd love to get to know you in person in addition to reading your application.
A “get-together” (SCHMOOZE) of board members and prospective board members will be held soon before applications are due. It's just a chance to meet us in person and get to know each other. Please come, especially if you haven't spent much time at PW yet! It will be fun! Dates for next semester's new member schmooze will be announced soon.
applicationPlease answer the following following questions in your application:
- Describe your experience with theatre, art, and performance in any/all capacity, at Brown and/or otherwise.
- Describe a group project, theatrical or otherwise, and the role you played in it.
- What do you think are positive aspects of PW? What new ideas, practices, or policies would you like to see? Lastly, what are some specific and concrete ideas you have to enhance the positive aspects and to carry out your new ideas?
- What do you think are problems or negative aspects of PW? What are some specific and concrete ideas you have to solve or improve those problems and/or aspects?
- Why do you want to be on the board?
To apply to the pw board you should be in at least your second semester of college - the first semester could be at Brown or another school. This is because there is so much to learn about how PW works, and we want our applicants to have some experience working on shows before applying. If you are a first semester freshmen, we still want to get to know you though! Come to the schmooze! Ask for a buddy to learn more about what the board does! Come work on shows!